I don’t have to explain to you what is an egg-roll, right? I bet I don’t even have to explain to you what an egg-roll skillet is. Yes, it’s that deep fried roll stuffing, minus that trans-fat simple carbs dough that you would wrap it in. Kind of cabbage stir-fry.
Despite cabbage being so widely available, cheap and healthy, it’s a rare guest in my kitchen. Not because it’s difficult to prepare or cook. God no! Taste is the culprit. I find cabbage dishes lacking flavor. And if you can through me a couple of ideas, I’m all ears.
But this egg-roll skillet, or egg-roll in a bowl is just a charm.
Why this recipe is awesome:
- It’s simple. A handful of veg to chop, quickly stir-fry it on high heat, and add the sauce.
- It’s tasty. Soy sauce and rice vinegar give this dish salty-sour flavor and fresh ginger adds a zing.
- It’s healthy. Alkalizing and rich in vitamins cabbage and lean ground chicken and no greasy dough.
The recipe easily doubles or cuts in half, so you always have an option to cook a big batch for the week or resort to it for a quick fix lunch or dinner.
This dish is already healthy. It is low-carb, rich in antioxidants, lean and low-fat. You can make it gluten-free by simply opting-out the soy sauce and replacing it with gluten-free alternatives like tamari or coconut aminos. Making egg roll skillet vegan? Possibly replace the meat with mung beans. I don’t know why mung beans come to my mind, but feels like it could work. Oh, and please do not through rotten tomatoes at me: I’m not a vegan myself, but sometimes resort to vegan recipes.
- 200 g ground chicken, or turkey
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- ½ head of cabbage
- 1 large carrot
- 1 egg (optional)
- 3 green onions
- Tumb size piece of ginger
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame seed oil
- Shred the cabbage, cut carrot into matchsticks, chop the onion, mince the garlic.
- Heat oil in a large pan or wok. Brown the meat, about 5 minutes. Add onion and sautee for 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add cabbage and carrot and cook until vegetables soften.
- If using an egg: push the cabbage mixture to the sides of the pan making a whole in the middle. Crack the egg into the well and poke the yolk. Let sit for a minute, then mix everything.
- Grate piece of ginger. In a small bowl mix ginger, soy sauce and rice vinegar, pour over the cabbage mixture, cook for 3-5 minutes. Add sesame oil and mix well.
- Finely chop the green onion, mix into cabbage before serving.